Monday, March 29, 2010

You Don’t Know Jacques

I’m one of those lucky people whose nails are naturally strong and grow quickly. I love having them painted, but it always chips within a day or two. OPI has a new system called Axxium soak-off gel lacquers - I've been following the development of this product for some time & now it's finally available at my nail spa. I was excited to test out the new Axxium soak-off gel lacquers manicure at Village Nail Salon & Spa, in West Palm Beach.




How Does the Gel Nail Manicure Work?
Just like in a regular manicure, cuticles are pushed back and nails are filed. Nails are also buffed, so the gel adheres more strongly. Next a coat of gel “polish” is applied to each nail, with 30 seconds of drying time under a UV Light in between. A second coat is applied and then allowed to dry again for 30 seconds.

At the end of the gel nail mani, I was amazed that my nails truly were dry. The technician laughed at me when I asked for help getting my keys out of my bag and she insisted I could do it myself without ruining my mani. She was right!

How Long Does the Gel Nail Manicure Last?
As promised, the Axxium manicure lasted for at least two weeks. Those are my nails in the photo at the end of the two weeks. The gel “polish” did start to peel the teeniest bit on the sides, but was only obvious when you looked at my nails closely.

Were There Any Downsides to the Gel Nail Manicure?
The one serious downside was the removal the gel polish. They need to wrap each nail with a small piece of cotton soaked in acetone polish remover covered with a small piece of aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes. And then after my manicurist meticulously filed the rest off.

Is a Gel Nail Manicure Right for Me?
If you are going on vacation, getting married or the type who like to maintain an impeccable manicure, Gel Manicure may be right for you. It costs $45—about the same as two mani’s in Sunny South Florida


As for me, I’m sticking with my OPI You Don’t Know Jacques is a perfect neutral, sorta warm taupey shade that works with everything. Everytime I get sick of super dark nails, I go back to You Don’t Know Jacques. Love it!

2 comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

That sounds really interesting, the removal process doesn't sound fun. Really cool!

Blicious said...

i have that color!! LOVES it!

xoxo