Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammys 2009

After anxiously waiting all day I sat down last night to watch the Grammy’s, it wasn’t what I’d thought it would be to tell you the truth.

U2 was the opening band, but there 70’s disco background kind of lost me. Can I ask what do you think Whitney Houston might of been on? (At least her dress was stunning) And my goodness mother-to-be MIA, can you put some clothes on?

Here are my observations from last night. (The good, the bad & the ugly)

Did you notice only nine actual awards were handed out on air; the rest were announced before the show even started. Which left more room for the performances--so if you ever wanted to see Sir Paul McCartney singing along to Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" from his seat in the audience, you had your chance. Coldplay was defiantly feeling the Sgt Pepper/Beatles last night.

Poor Dwayne Johnson was given the shortest straw of all. The man formerly known as The Rock was forced to do a hackneyed bit about Katy Perry and a restraining order, and then name an upcoming performance by Sir Paul and Foo Fighters lead singer Dave Grohl, "Beatle Fighters". Huh? "Beatle Fighters"? If anyone gets that joke, let me know.

I definitely got a lump in my throat when the audience gave Jennifer Hudson a standing ovation after her breathe taking performance last night. But did Best New Artist winner Adele deserve one? Or...Neil Diamond? Basically, if you didn't get a standing ovation last night, it must mean everyone hates you.

The most insane moment of the show included four of rap's biggest superstars, tuxedos and a nine-months pregnant M.I.A. dancing around the stage in a mesh shirt. Did I mention it was all in black and white? The performance of "Swagga Like Us" by Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Kanye West and T.I., and featuring a sample of M.I.A.'s hit "Paper Planes," was billed as "The Rap Pack" (hence the tuxedos), but I have a hard time believing Frank and Dean rolled around with a pregnant lady. HA!

With apologies to Radiohead, who performed their song "15 Step" with the USC Marching Band (the first time in history of earth that being in the marching band could be considered cool), no one brought the house down like... Carrie Underwood. Really, I was surprised too. But Ms. Underwood's performance of her Best Female Country Vocal-winning "Last Name", a salacious number about a potential one-night stand that turns into a quickie Vegas wedding, was unbelievable. Showcasing her voice and a fantastic stage presence, "Last Name" made me want to reconsider the entire country music genre. Unfortunately the crowd didn't give her a standing ovation, hmmm?

Check it out here to see the complete list of winners! Tomorrow Best & Worst Dressed of the Grammys
photo: John Shearer/Getty Images

No comments: